Financial Aid Office

Student Employment FAQ

How do I apply for positions? Is there an application? Can I apply for more than one position at a time?

Students apply for student employment positions by submitting a resumé through KatieCareer, St. Kate's student employment online database. Some departments require additional application materials, including cover letters, recommendation forms and schedule forms. If you would like help formulating a resumé or cover letter, visit our Career Development Center website.

Yes, you may apply for more than one position at a time. We encourage you to apply for all positions that interest you and continue applying as new positions become available.

What are the benefits to working on campus?

Benefits of working on campus include:

  • An opportunity to making valuable connections with other students, staff, and faculty
  • Flexible scheduling around your courses, athletic events or other campus activities
  • Convenient access (no car required!)
  • Higher pay than the federal minimum wage
  • Earn 7.65 percent more each pay period due to FICA tax exemption (federal and state work study students only)

How much do on-campus jobs pay?

Starting wages may change annually--please visit the Human Resource Student Employment page for current rates.

What does it mean if I was awarded federal/state work study in my financial aid award?

As a student at St. Kate’s, you are expected to help contribute toward your educational expenses. Work study is one way to do so, and therefore has been awarded to you as a financial aid option. If you decide to utilize work study, you will receive a bi-weekly paycheck throughout the semester.

If you have a student account balance, you can take your paycheck directly to the Student Accounts Office and have it applied toward your account. If you do not have a balance, you can deposit your check into a personal savings or checking account and use it toward day-to-day expenses. Work-study funds are not applied to your account at the beginning of the semester. You earn them over the course of the semester.

How much can I earn during the school year?

The amount you earn depends on how much you work. We strongly suggest that no student work over 20 hours per week and feel that working 10-15 hours per week will help you increase your income without affecting academic performance. Due to federal laws and regulation, international students may not exceed 20 hours per week.

Use the chart below to determine how much you'll need to work throughout the school year to help meet your financial aid obligation or help with day-to-day expenses.

per week
Rate/hourWeeks in
academic year
per year
8$7.7532 $1,984
10$7.7532 $2,480
12$7.7532 $2,976

You can also work over January term and spring break, as offices on campus are open during these times. Any earnings during these breaks can count toward your financial aid work-study award. Summer is considered a non-enrollment period, so it does not count toward your financial aid award. Federal regulations require FICA and Medicare be withheld during periods of non-enrollment. Please note that students are always subject to Federal and Minnesota state tax withholding during both enrollment and non-enrollment periods, the extent of which is determined by individual W-4 filing status.

What kind of jobs can I get?

There is a large variety of on-campus jobs. Possibilities include Telefund team member, admission ambassador, photographer, office assistant, website producer, meeting and events staff, library assistant, math and science tutor, lifeguard, America Reads tutor, dining services staff, childcare aide, costume assistant, usher and more.

How do I know if I got a job?

You will be contacted by the department's hiring manager to either interview over the phone or to schedule an in-person interview. Once you have interviewed, the hiring manager will contact you if you have been hired.

Can I follow up with the hiring manager if I have not heard from her/him?

Yes, you are encouraged to follow up with the hiring manager within one to two weeks to check the status of your application and request an interview. You can also contact Student Employment at for status information.

How often are new jobs posted?

New jobs are posted to KatieCareer as they become available.

How come some student employment jobs are not on campus?

Community Work and Learning is a service program that allows students to gain valuable experience in the community by working with a nonprofit agency while receiving work-study funds. If you are interested in participating or finding out more about this program, visit the Community Work and Learning website.

I just started a job on campus. How do I get an online timesheet?

All student workers must fill out a certification form, which the student and supervisor must both sign. This form can be printed off of the HR website in Kate Way once your supervisor has notified you that you have been hired.

A new certification form is needed for every position in which you are working. New certification forms are also needed every academic year and a new form is needed if you are working during the summer. If a student has not worked on campus before, I-9 and W-4 forms must be completed before a student will receive a timesheet or get paid.

Separate I-9 and W-4s are not needed for each position. These forms only need to be done once while a student is at St. Kate’s unless the student wants to change the W-4 deductions.