How do I become a member of Phi Beta Kappa?
Candidates are nominated for election by their chapters in their junior or senior years. Students interested in Phi Beta Kappa are encouraged to look at the requirements early in their academic careers for guidance on requirements and curriculum.
1. Eligible students shall be candidates for a bachelor's degree in a College of Arts and Sciences (B.A. or B.S)
2. They shall be majoring in an area of the liberal arts or sciences (excludes ACTC majors, Nursing, Education, Business & Social Work).
3. They shall include not less than 90 semester hours (96 credits CSC) of liberal work among the 120 hours (130 credits CSC) ordinarily required for the degree, exclusive of required courses in physical education and any military science. (Juniors need 72 credits CSC)
4. Students electing a combined curriculum in such fields as law, medicine, dentistry, or engineering may be considered if they take at least 90 semester hours (96 credits CSC) or the equivalent of liberal work, complete at least half of the requirements for a liberal major, and meet all of the other requirements defined in these Stipulations.
5. Grades earned in applied or professional work shall not be counted in computing the grade point average for purposes of eligibility(GPA>3.67). Applied and professional work shall be understood to include those courses intended primarily to develop skills or vocational techniques in such fields as business administration, education, engineering, home economics, journalism, library science, military science, physical education, oral communications, secretarial studies, speech, and applied art and music.
6. Weight shall be given to the breadth and proportion of the program of each candidate as shown by the number and variety of courses taken outside the major. Eligible candidate numbers allowable are 10% of senior liberal majors.
7. Candidates shall have demonstrated in mathematics and foreign language intermediate level) knowledge appropriate for a liberal education.
8. Candidates must have at least 60 resident CSC credits with the last 28 on campus (Study abroad does count)
9. Candidates elected from the senior class shall have a minimum GPA of 3.67; candidates eligible as juniors require a GPA of 3.85