Deaf Mentor Training
Join us for the 2013 Deaf Mentor Training, June7-14, 2013. This program is offered in St. Paul, MN. Mentors are a vital component of this program, please plan on applying!
Instructional Program & Activities
- Deaf Mentors will receive training designed to maximize the experience of language mentoring, through application of mentoring skills.
- June 7-9, 2013: Mentors will attend classes on a mentoring skill topic, including using technology, writing educational objectives and setting up a mentoring business.
- June 10-14, 2013: Mentors will work with ASL Immersion participants. Activities include observing ASL classes, afternoon field trips and other outside-the-classroom learning activities designed to put mentoring into action. Evening activities offer more opportunities to socialize and have fun while learning.
- June 17-August 2, 2013: Get paid to continue mentoring students through weekly assignments.
Experienced mentor trainers Jimmy Beldon and Betti Bonni will lead the mentor training program. Betti Bonni will faciliate the distance mentoring program. Mentors will also participate in classes with Elizabeth Beldon and Nigel Howard. Click here to read instructor bios.
Who Should Attend?
Deaf individuals who are currently mentoring interpreting students, or are instructors in ASL labs.
$125. This includes dorm, breakfast and lunch every day of the program.
You will also have the opportunity to participate in a six-week paid mentorship arrangement after the workshop!
The dorm is included in the registration fee. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information!
Lunch and breakfast will be provided each day in the St. Catherine University cafeteria. Other meals during the week are on your own. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information!
RID members may earn up to 4.5 CMP/ACET professional studies CEUs for full attendance. St. Catherine University is an RID-approved sponsor for CEUs.
Cancellations received before May 5 will be charged a $25 cancellation fee. Cancellations received between May 6 and May 31 will be charged a $50 cancellation fee. No refunds for cancellations received on or after June 1.
How to register?
- Download the application form as a Word file here.
- Complete your application describing your experience as a mentor.
- Send your completed application form to us by April 20, 2013.
- If you are selected to attend, you will receive an e-mail with a link to online registration by April 30.
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page!
Pictures from past events: facebook.com/catiecenter
The CATIE Center is funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, Rehabilitation Services Administration, Grant #H160A100003