Getting Started with Internal Grants
Internal funding opportunities support the continued growth of individuals as faculty and scholars. They may allow faculty and staff to pilot an idea or project or to spend time building community collaborations in preparation for external fund-seeking.
STEP #1: Begin to Formulate Your Project
STEP #2: Communicate with your Chair/Director
- Outline your ideas.
- Begin to develop your goals and objectives.
- Speak with colleagues and potential community partners about possible collaborations or seek feedback regarding your ideas.
- Consider how your ideas fit with the University’s mission and/or the Strategic Plan.
- Consider whether your project is a one-time endeavor or a project you would like to sustain.
- Consider which internal grant opportunity best aligns with your project.
It is always a good idea to speak with your Chair/Director regarding your plans to seek internal funding, as many of the internal grant applications require a supporting statement from the Chair/Director. There is no other formal approval process required before seeking internal grants.
STEP #3: Meet with ORSP Staff
Although it is not a requirement, ORSP staff would be happy to assist you as you formulate your project and prepare your proposal.
STEP #4: Prepare your Proposal
Carefully review the application instructions before beginning to work on your proposal, taking particular note of any special requirements.
STEP #5: Develop Your Budget
ORSP is happy to help you in the development of your budget, and it is always a good idea to have ORSP review your budget prior to submission to make sure it complies with institutional policies.
STEP #6: Manage your Award
Should you receive a grant award, ORSP will guide you through the grant management process and provide budgetary assistance and oversight. Visit Managing Your Award for more information on managing your award.
If your project does not receive funding upon first submission, do not be too discouraged. ORSP will help you revise, reframe and resubmit your proposal as needed.